Get a licence
How can I get a licence to drill a bore?
Everyone needs a licence to drill a bore regardless of what the bore will be used for. This licence is called a Works Licence.
For the current application forms and fees please visit our main website here
Apply for a works licence
- Apply for a works licence to drill a Domestic & stock or Investigation bore online here
- To apply to drill a bore for take and use purposes you can download an application form here.
Once you submit an application we will process your application and issue a licence within 14 days.
How can I get a licence to use groundwater?
If you are planning to use groundwater for a commercial purpose you need to have a licence.
The cost to apply for a licence will depend on the volume of groundwater you want to use.
Apply for a new ‘take and use’ licence
To apply for a licence to take and use groundwater visit our main website and complete the Application for a licence to take and use groundwater and to operate works (PDF). In most areas new groundwater entitlements are not available so you should contact us first.
Apply for a temporary or permanent trade
In most areas new groundwater entitlements are not available so individuals and businesses looking to expand or start new enterprises need to trade. Groundwater can be traded permanently, or on a temporary basis. Entitlements can be traded temporarily for up to 5 years depending on your area.
- To find entitlements available for trade in your area or to trade your entitlement to someone else visit the WaterMatch website.
- To apply for either a temporary or permanent trade visit our main website for a Application to transfer water entitlement (PDF). Simply fill out the forma and return it us with any required fees.
- To find out more information about trading water visit our main website for a Trading water fact sheet (PDF).
Can I get a copy of my licence?
You can get a copy of your licence by either requesting a copy online from the Victorian Water Register or by visting our main website and completing the Application to get a copy of your licence (PDF) and returning it to Southern Rural Water. A small administration fee applies.
Important:To complete the application form you will need to know your licence number. If you do not have this information please contact us.
Do you have another licensing enquiry?
For all other matters such as surrendering, renewing or amalgamating your licence(s), decommissioning a bore or need to apply to dispose of matter through means of a bore please visit our main Southern Rural Water site.